It is safe to say that social media has been there a long time and is going to stay for a long time. However, the dynamics with social media tend to change every few years. Over the past 2 years, we have noticed social media has become one of the strongest touchpoints between business and consumers. According to Hubspot, Over 90% of marketers are confident that their social media marketing activities in 2023 will bring in a positive ROI. Brands are planning to embrace social media and community-building with open arms and take a more authentic, behind-the-scenes approach to content. Here are the top global trends that hoteliers need to embed in their social media strategy to grow their online brand presence and reputation:
1. Build your Online Communities- Building and connecting with online communities that discover and discuss topics relevant to your consumers will help your brand be recognized and trusted by more consumers. These topics could include- Areas of Interest around your Hotel, Places to Eat, Best Pubs and Bars, Local Drinks and Food Items, etc.
2. Social Media as Search Engine- A large number of social media users are depending on social media to research about brands that they are interested in. People are slowly drifting away from search engines and depending on social media platforms to present information along with relevant photos, videos and user generated content.
3. Social Media as Customer Service- While people are searching for brands online they are also using their social media inboxes as a customer service portal to get in touch with brands for their queries and concerns. As a luxury hotelier, you should be aware that your customers will fall back on your social media platforms to review your content and make decisions. This will eventually lead to queries being raised in your DM’s. Providing satisfactory online customer service can positively impact your brand awareness since customers tend to share their positive experiences when their issues are resolved quickly through direct messaging. On the other hand, unsatisfactory customer support can have a negative impact on a brand's reputation, leading to negative feedback. It is important to assess if your social media team is the most appropriate group to handle customer service inquiries. You can automate the routing of support-related requests to your customer service team or use a chatbot to address basic questions. Additionally, gathering customer data from social media requests can help improve the overall customer experience and be great for investing in future targeted advertising.
4. Partner with Influencers- Collaborating with influencers has become a popular strategy among marketers due to its effectiveness. People tend to have faith in recommendations from creators they follow on social media platforms. Nowadays, a growing number of hotels are teaming up with influencers for performance-based campaigns, with a focus on promoting upcoming events and activities planned in the hotel or the surrounding areas. Partnering with influencers to promote hotel amenities and services can be an effective way to improve brand reputation. By working with influencers, hotels can leverage their credibility and reach to attract potential customers and improve brand awareness.
5. Short Form Video- We have mentioned previously that short form video are gaining popularity on social media platforms and this will continue to grow in 2023 as more and more social media platforms take the route of short form video content.
6. Focus on Content Type- To get noticed, aim to create amusing, up-to-date, and relatable content. Sharing behind-the-scenes posts can give your customers a glimpse of your hotel culture, while showcasing content from creators within the hotel. Utilizing humor through memes and funny posts is also an effective way to connect and broaden your audience. Furthermore, interactive content such as polls, games, and AR/VR experiences are gaining popularity, with the metaverse and AR/VR content sparking interest. Consider experimenting with these options to enhance your social media strategy.
7. Instagram, Instagram, Instagram!- Every few years a new social media platform gains popularity amongst the audiences and currently it is Instagram that is winning. It is becoming the king of social media platforms with it’s engagements rates higher than that of Facebook at the moment. Reels are gaining popularity amongst users on Instagram with 30% of their time being spent on reels. (Sprout Social)
In conclusion, social media is here to stay, and hoteliers need to adapt to the changing dynamics of social media to grow their online brand presence and reputation. The top trends for hoteliers to consider include building online communities, using social media as a search engine and customer service portal, partnering with influencers, creating short-form videos, focusing on content type, and prioritizing Instagram as the primary platform for social media marketing. By embracing these trends, hotels can improve their online presence, attract potential customers, and ultimately boost their bottom line.
to learn how Aró Digital Strategy can help you grow you online presence and direct revenue.